- Casa Bonita, Santa Cruz de Barahona, Dominican Republic
- Hacienda Encantada Resort & Spa, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
- Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Newport, Curaçao
- Kukuiula Club Cottages, The Parrish Collection Kauai, Poipu Beach, Kauai
- Casas del XVI, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
- Le Montrose Suites West Hollywood, Los Angeles, California
- Sandos Cancun Luxury Experience Resort, Cancun, Mexico
- La Giralda, Guanaja, Honduras
1 of 9 | Next photo
Tahiti, French PolynesiaEnter your email address and zip code for pricing and availability
Why Stay At Le Taha'a
Tahiti, just an eight-hour flight from L.A., delivers crystal-clear water and jaw-dropping overwater retreats. One of the best hotels is Le Taha'a Island Resort, set on a private vanilla-scented islet named Motu Tautau just a 15-minute helicopter ride from better-known Bora Bora.
When the 57-suite Le Taha'a Island Resort & Spa opened 10 years ago in Tahiti's Society Islands, it upped the ante in the pristine archipelago best known as the home of Bora Bora. But while there are many hotels on Bora Bora, Le Taha'a delivers a completely remote experience on a private, unnamed motu (islet); to get there, guests take a helicopter from Bora Bora or a shuttle boat from Raiatea. Here, in an area known for its numerous vanilla plantations, 45 overwater suites are set along a glassy lagoon, and a breakfast of yogurt and tropical fruits arrives via canoe. It's the type of place where guests stroll around in sarongs all day before sleeping in spacious 969-square-foot teak bungalows with windows open to the lapping waves.
Borrow a pair of reef shoes from the hotel if you plan to snorkel to the nearby coral reef, which can be be rough on the feet.
Thanks to many vanilla plantations on Tahaa, the spice makes for a great souvenir. Order packages of it at the resort; it's a better value than buying it at markets or airports elsewhere in Tahiti.
Arrive at Papeete International Airport (PPT) and take a charter flight to Raiatea Island and a shuttle boat to the resort. Or opt to arrive on Bora Bora and take a short helicopter ride to Tahaa.Motu Tautau, BP 67 Patio, Tahaa, Tahiti
Hotel FeaturesBack to Top Property Amenities
- Private Beach
- Outdoor Swimming Pool
- Fitness Center
- Spa Services
- Tennis Court
- Business Center
- Air Conditioning
- High-Speed Internet Access
- Private Patios
- Private Plunge Pools
- Satelite TV
- DVD/ CD Players
- Coffee/ Tea Makers
- Mini Bars
- Bathrobes + Slippers
- Hair Dryers
- 3 Restaurants
- Poolside Bar
- Swim-up Bar
- In-Room Dining
- Welcome drink and fresh towels on arrival
- Breakfast for two each morning
- Bottled water in room at turndown each evening
- Access to fitness center, tennis court, kayaks and snorkeling equipment
Note: A 150 XPF (about $1.80) per person per night local tax will be collected directly by the hotel.
Why We Love Tahiti
Located in Tahiti's tourist-friendly Society Islands, Taha'a is a lush, mountainous island filled with vanilla plantations. It's surrounded by motus, or small islets, such as the one occupied by Le Taha'a Island Resort & Spa, along a glassy lagoon across from Raiatea.
Tours from $95 per person.
Where to Shop: The hotel's gift shop is an excellent place to purchase souvenirs—from vanilla-infused toiletries to black pearls and pareos (ask the salesperson about the numerous ways to wear it).
Where to Eat: Try the Ohiri restaurant, one of three at the hotel, for French Polynesian dishes such as lobster sourced from the nearby Marquesas and served with pumpkin mousseline. Guests can also order in; dinner may arrive via canoe.
Dinner for two $180.
Where to Drink: At the hotel's Tehutu Bar, set on a large deck suspended in the treetops, try the hotel's signature Cocktail Le Taha'a, made of rum, vanilla, coconut liquor, banana, coconut milk, and lime.
Drinks for two $36.
Why Go Now
April 7, 2012
3rd Vanira Raid
A 15-km foot race on Taha'a. Departure from Tapuamu, arrival at Patio with musical entertainment, fruit tasting and several stands of handicraft, catering and vanilla products.
May 16-20, 2012
3rd Vanira Raid
International regatta between the islands of Raiatea,Tahaa & Bora Bora. This is a 3-stage, 3-day race. At the finish of each stage, the winners received their trophy for the various categories and at the end of each day all participants enjoy a dinner with traditional Tahitian entertainment.
June 6-9, 2012
Tahiti Vanilla Week
Come and discover the Tahiti Vanilla and its by-products, learn about how vanilla is produced, prepared and transformed.
French Polynesia's Assembly Hall in Taraho'i, Papeete.
- Size: 969 square feet
- Bedding: 1 king + 1 day bed
- Maximum Occupancy: 2 adults + 1 child (free up to age 12)
- Why Sunset Overwater Suite: Nothing compares to being lulled to sleep (or woken up) by the sound of waves right underneath you.
- Features: Air Conditioning. High-Speed Internet Access. Private Patio. Satelite TV. DVD/ CD Player. Coffee/ Tea Maker. Mini Bar. Bathrobe + Slippers. Hair Dryers.