- Las Hadas Golf Resort & Marina, Manzanillo, Mexico
- Sivory Punta Cana, Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
- Colony Palms Hotel, Palm Springs, California
- Koro Sun Resort and Rainforest Spa, Vanua Levu Island, Fiji
- Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort, Newport, Curaçao
- St. James's Club Resort & Villas, St John's, Antigua and Barbuda
- Bitter End Yacht Club, Virgin Gorda, British Virgin Islands
- Aqua Wellness Resort, Playa Le Redonda, Nicaragua
- The Pavilions Phuket, Phuket, Thailand
- The Parrish Collection Kauai, Kauai, Hawaiian Islands
- Spruce Point Inn Resort & Spa, Boothbay Harbor, Maine
- Hidden Valley Inn & Reserve, Hidden Valley Reserve, Belize
- ONE Bal Harbour Resort & Spa, Bal Harbour, Miami Beach, Florida
- Grand Isle Resort & Spa, Emerald Bay, Bahamas
- Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto, Rome, Italy
- Casa Bonita, Santa Cruz de Barahona, Dominican Republic
- Hacienda Encantada, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
- The Lodge at Pico Bonito, La Ceiba, Honduras
- HarbourView Inn, Charleston, South Carolina
- Warwick Melrose Hotel Dallas, Dallas, Texas
1 of 12 | Next photo
Grand Hotel Excelsior
Valletta, MaltaEnter your email address and zip code for pricing and availability
Why Stay At Grand Hotel Excelsior
Malta's Grand Hotel Excelsior is a 10-minute walk from the island's walled capital city, Valletta.
Travelers who head south of Sicily to the 122-square-mile island of Malta go for the mix of cafés and rocky beaches and the incredible Maltese history. The best place to stay? The Grand Hotel Excelsior, which is within walking distance of Valletta, the island's 16th-century capital city, and the destination's only luxury hotel. Although the city is known for its stately churches that tower over cozy street cafes, the property itself is more streamlined. The exterior is reminiscent of an all-white cruise ship, and the indoor pool and spa feel like a modern cocoon. Act like a local and forgo the hotel's private beach in favor of the adjacent Marsamxett Harbour, the departure point for yachting excursions in the Mediterranean.
Cab fare in Malta can add up quickly—save some euros and buy a one-day visitor's bus pass to explore the island.
The hotel's complimentary shuttle brings guests to Valletta proper, and a transfer also means avoiding the steps from the city center.
Arrive at Malta International Airport (MLA) which is approximately 6 miles from the hotel. Anticipate 20 to 30 minutes of travel time depending on traffic.Great Siege Road, Valletta, Floriana, Malta
Hotel FeaturesBack to Top Property Amenities
- Spa + Wellness Center
- Fitness Center
- Landscaped Gardens
- Indoor Pool
- Outdoor Pool
- Sun Deck
- Private Marina
- Gift Shop
- 24-hour Reception
- Concierge Desk
- Bell Service
- Courtesy Car to Valletta
- Complimentary Wi-Fi in Public Areas
- Child Care Service (upon request)
- Working Desks
- International Satellite TV
- Flat-screen TVs
- In-Room Safes
- Spacious Bathroom
- Deep Soaking Tubs
- Large Wash Basins
- 2 Restaurant
- Buffet Dining
- Outdoor Dining
- Bar + Lounge
- Beach Bar
- Lobby Bar
- Live Musical Entertainment
- 24-hour in-room Dining
Why We Love Valletta
Though Malta has plenty of history—from 6,000-year-old Neolithic temples to the bastions built by the Crusade-era Knights of St. John—some of the best attractions are au natural: snorkel in Paradise Bay to the north or relax on tranquil Hola Beach.
Il-Wesgħa tal-Mużew, Mdina.
Outdoor Excursion: Book a snorkeling tour with Aquatica Dives and head out into the clear water around the neighboring island of Comino.
54 Toni Bajada Street, St. Paul's Bay.
Where to Eat: Ta' L-Ingliż, in the village of Mgarr, is a local favorite for the island's signature fenkata (rabbit) served in a quaint space with Old World touches.
59 Triq Il-Kbira, Mgarr.
Dinner for two $50.
Where to Drink: Order a local Cisk beer at the Black Gold Saloon in the neighboring city of Sliema, just 15 minutes away. The bar also serves a full menu of pub dishes (even hamburgers).
93-95 The Strand, Sliema.
Why Go Now
April 25, 26 + 30, 2014
Malta International Fireworks Festival
Series of evenings with spectacular fireworks displays and street fairs.
Grand Harbour, Malta.
May 30 - June 1, 2014
Malta Mediterranean Folk Music Festival
A celebration of Maltese culture with local food and għana folk music.
June 1 - 15, 2014
Malta Arts Festival
Dramatic performances, dance recitals, and classical concerts in the capital.