- HarbourView Inn, Charleston, South Carolina
- Warwick Melrose Hotel Dallas, Dallas, Texas
- Vuyani Safari Lodge, Moditlo Private Game Reserve, South Africa
- The Liaison Capitol Hill, Washington, District of Columbia
- Hotel Jerome, an Auberge Resort, Aspen, Colorado
- Casas del XVI, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
- The Landings St. Lucia, Castries, St. Lucia, BWI
- Hacienda Encantada, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
- Casa Bonita, Santa Cruz de Barahona, Dominican Republic
- Grand Isle Resort & Spa, Emerald Bay, Bahamas
- Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto, Rome, Italy
- Hidden Valley Inn & Reserve, Hidden Valley Reserve, Belize
- The Parrish Collection Kauai, Kauai, Hawaiian Islands
- Spruce Point Inn Resort & Spa, Boothbay Harbor, Maine
1 of 16 | Next photo
Big Sur, CaliforniaEnter your email address and zip code for pricing and availability
Why Stay At Ventana Inn
This iconic, adults-only hideaway in California's dramatic Big Sur is home to 55 rooms and three cozy cedar villas, surrounded by 243 acres that front the rugged coast.
If ocean-view hammocks, afternoon wine and cheese receptions, and guided coastal walks appeal to you, this beloved, adults-only retreat in Big Sur, California is just your ticket. Days here fall into an unhurried, restorative pace: Staff encourage guests to begin with a one-hour guided walk around the property, which is offered every day at 10 a.m. Keep your eyes peeled for California condors, red-tailed hawks, and, during migration season (December-January and April-May), gray whales. Afterward, settle in for a sea-inspired treatment at the spa (be sure to take advantage of the adjoining bathhouses and sun decks). The cliffside property was purposefully built with plenty of windows to take in the breathtaking view, and rooms here are modern, yet cozy, and subdued.
Head a half-mile north of the hotel for authentic Mexican fare (carne asada sandwiches; chicken tamales) from Big Sur Deli.
Grab a backpack lunch from the hotel and head on out to explore the property's meandering gardens.
Arrive at San Jose International Airport (SJC) which is approximately 108 miles from the inn. Anticipate about 2 hours of travel time depending on traffic.48123 Highway One, Big Sur, California, United States
Hotel FeaturesBack to Top Property Amenities
- Spa on Property
- 2 Japanese Hot Baths
- Dry Sauna
- 2 Swimming Pools
- Fitness Room
- Complimentary breakfast
- Guided Property Walks
- Daily Yoga or Pilates Class
- 1,200 book Library
- DVD Library
- High-speed Internet access
- Flat-screen TVs
- DVD Players
- Ipod Docking Stations
- Egyptian Cotton Bedding
- Terry Cloth Robes
- Nightly Turndown Service
- Luxury Bath Accessories
- Daily newspaper
- In-room Safes
- Honor Bars
- Coffee + Tea Service
- Hair Dryers
- Iron+Ironing Boards
- Patio Dining
- Afternoon Wine + Cheese Reception
- Room Service
- 2 person max occupancy in both rooms
- Big Sur Breakfast
- Valet Parking
- Wi-Fi throughout the property
- Morning Yoga classes
- Evening wine + cheese reception
- Daily guided "Discovery Walk" of Ventana's property
- Shuttle transportation to local Big Sur shops and restaurants
Why We Love Big Sur
It's hard to imagine a place more beautiful than central California's Big Sur—and the 80-mile stretch of mountains, cliffs, and boulder-studded beaches is still blissfully serene.
Andrew Molera State Park.
Must-See Museum: Visit the nearby Henry Miller Memorial Library, a non-profit bookstore and art center that champions writer and former Big Sur resident Henry Miller.
48603 Highway 1.
Best Picnic Spot: There's no better al fresco lunch spot than Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park, a sandy cove about four miles north of the hotel where craggy rock outcrops rise from the shallow water. Admission $5.
Where to Drink: The casual, Big Sur Taphouse serves a wide array of locally brewed beer and wines from Monterey County. Drinks for two $8.
47520 Highway 1.
Why Go Now
March through May
Gray Whale Migration
Witness schools of gray whales pass by as they migrate from the warm waters of Mexico back to Alaska.
April 27, 2014
Big Sur International Marathon
Spectacular scenery along 26.2 miles got this one voted Best Marathon in North America by the Ultimate Guide to Marathons.
May 31 + June 1, 2014
Discover why the artichoke was recently declared California's state vegetable with cook-offs, wine tastings, agro art and two days of live bands.
Monterey County Fair and Festival Center, Castroville.
November 7 - 10, 2013
Big Sur Food and Wine Festival
Indulge in great food and exquisite wines with local and visiting restaurateurs, resorts and wineries.
Locations around Big Sur.
November 17, 2013
Big Sur Half Marathon
A medley of fun running events ranging from 3k to the Half Marathon along scenic coastline and historic downtown streets.
January 16 - 20, 2014
Monterey Swing Fest
Swing dance your heart out at the 21st annual installment of this hopping event.