- La Placencia Resort, Placencia Village, Belize
- Le Montrose Suites West Hollywood, Los Angeles, California
- Deep Blue, Providencia Island, Colombia
- Belmond El Encanto, Santa Barbara, California
- Villa del Palmar Cancun, Playa Mujeres (Cancún), Mexico
- Laluna, Saint George's, Grenada
1 of 7 | Next photo
Te Anau, New ZealandEnter your email address and zip code for pricing and availability
Why Stay At Takaro
A private New Zealand sanctuary on a 2,500-acre preserve in the South Island's Snowdon Forest.
There's no shortage of wilderness retreats in New Zealand, but having one to yourself is the ultimate fantasy. Enter Takaro Lodge, a former academy turned private escape in the middle of Fiordland's Snowdon Forest, on the southwestern edge of the South Island. Ideal for groups of 10 to 20—and more often, corporate retreats—the property comprises five green-roofed eco-lodges, each of which contains two suites. Owner Aiping Wang Fulepp, a master in the ancient Chinese art of healing, has an influential presence: guests can choose from daily relaxation classes or her Life Consultancy trainings, or opt for more traditional New Zealand pursuits, from hiking the Upekerora Valley to horseback riding through the area's dramatic Lord of the Rings territory.
The Lodge typically rents the property to groups, with a minimum of eight guests for three days. Smaller groups can make special arrangements.
Upon check in, you'll be assigned a room based on the date and location of your birth. Later, an introductory Fulepp's Life Consultancy session will review personal nutrition strategies and other personal goals.
Awards and RecognitionsBack to Top
Winner New Zealand's Leading Spa Resort
- World's Travel Awards
Arrive at Queenstown International Airport (ZQN) which is approximately 105 miles from the hotel. Anticipate about 2.5 of travel time.914 Takaro Road, Te Anau, New Zealand
Hotel FeaturesBack to Top Property Amenities
- Spa on Property
- Fitness Area
- Life Consultancy
- Exercise Programs
- Vocal Exercises
- Outdoor Activities
- 2500 acre Organic Property
- Living Rooms
- Log Fires
- Fully Equipped Kitchens
- En-Suite Bathrooms
- Work Desks
- Access to Fresh Produce
- Shopping Service (fee)
- Hospitality Staff (fee)
- Nightly rates are for exclusive hire of the entire Lodge (Main lodge building with an extensive fully equipped professional kitchen and bakery, guest dining room, sitting room, bar and reception area, large and smaller meeting rooms, private cinema, 5 element chalets and traditional chalets)
- Up to 8 people
- Welcome fruit basket
- Daily housekeeping
- Grocery shopping services
- Fresh produce from our organic garden/farm (subject to seasonal availability)
- Fire wood
- Non alcoholic beverages and mini-bar
- Daily relaxation class and Life consultancy session
- Private cinema (with extensive DVD library)
Why We Love Te Anau
The lodge is set in Te Anau, a hub for exploring the unspoiled southwestern corner of New Zealand's South Island. Charter a small plane or helicopter to the private airstrip, or it's a 100-mile drive from Queenstown.
12 Mokonui St., Te Anau.
Dinner for two $30.
Where to Drink: Catch a movie at the 52-seat Fiordland Cinema, then grab a drink at the attached Black Dog Bar. A local pub with a cozy fireplace, it's open even when movies aren't showing.
7 The Lane, Te Anau.
Drinks for two $20.
Outdoor Excursion: On a small boat tour led by the Te Anau Visitor Center, you'll cruise nearby Lake Te Anau before a trip deep into the nearby caverns to see Glowworm Grotto.
Tours from $75.
Best Day Trip: Take a helicopter ride over the many islands that are part of the largest fiord in New Zealand, Dusky Sound. The 90-minute tour starts at the lodge.
Full-day trips from $790.
Why Go Now
January 26, 2013
Milford Mountain Classic
A 75-mile race from Milford Sound to Te Anau.
June 21-30, 2013
Queenstown Winter Festival
The largest winter festival in the Southern Hemisphere, with fireworks, street parades, and wine tastings.
Multiple venues, Queenstown.
December 30, 2013
Te Anau Rodeo
Established in 1968, this annual event includes barrel racing, bull riding, and steer wrestling.
Te Anau Rodeo grounds.